Sustainable Urban Neighbourhoods - Research and Implementation Support in Europe
SUNRISE will develop, implement, assess and facilitate learning about new, collaborative ways to address common mobility challenges at the neighbourhood level. Towards this aim, six cities will foster collaborative processes in specific neighbourhoods as “Neighbourhood Mobility Labs” with the explicit mandate to implement innovative solutions for and with their residents, businesses etc.
SUNRISE rests on several pillars:
- A) Utilisation of neighbourhood-specific opportunities
- B) Co-creation of solutions, i.e. through strategic civic-public alliances
- C) Socio-technical nature of solutions as combinations of services, social arrangements, rules, technologies or small infrastructures etc.
- D) New forms of synergies between bottom-up and top-down
All SUNRISE activities are structured along the following phases of the innovation chain:
- Co-identification of mobility problems
- Co-planning / co-selection of solutions
- Co-implementation of solutions
- Co-learning and uptake
The SUNRISE action neighbourhoods will use a blend of proven state-of-the-art online and face-to-face participation techniques and will establish longer-term collaborative forums. These will systematically involve citizens, businesses, NGOs, local authorities, academics etc. – always with a view to also involve under-empowered sections of the population like migrants, women, older and young people.
Alongside the mobility benefits for the action neighbourhoods, the project will result in a suite of products – most prominently the SUNRISE Neighbourhood Mobility Pathfinder – which will be provided to European cities, their stakeholders and citizens through a powerful exchange process to inspire and inform change across Europe. This will include a group of 20 Take-Up neighbourhoods and various city networks in cooperation with CIVITAS.
In strategic terms, SUNRISE will lay the foundation for a "Sustainable Neighbourhood Mobility Planning" concept (SNMP) to complement SUMPs.