The T.A.T. Project revolved around the identification, definition and testing of interventino policies with the intention of reducing the environmental impacts and energy consumption related to the mobility of workers and students of the universities.
The main objectives of the T.A.T Project were to promote strategies of sustainable mobility to reduce energy and environmental impacts in the university areas of Chieti, Leiria and Aglantzia, as well as to contribute to stimulating the energetic-environmental conciousness of the target groups in order to make them more aware of the negative effects of the traditional modes of transport and orienting their choices towards low-energy intensive modes.
The project started with the evaluation of the state of art of the university mobility in each country. Partners dealt with the analysis of the present situation of university mobility both from an energetic and environmental point of view. During this initial phase, the figure of University Mobility Manager was promoted and European best practices in the field of sustainable mobility were gathered.
After the analysis of the “status quo”, the project focused the attention on the drafting of new sustainable mobility plans for the university areas. Technical-economical feasibility studies about interventions of sustainable mobility were realized in each country in order to evaluate the best cost-benefits actions.
From the month of June 2008, the work proceeded with the ideation and implementation of a university car pooling service in each university area. Partners worked to realize simple softwares to be used as platforms for car pooling services and acted in order to promote the implemented systems through communication campaigns. After the implementation of car pooling services, the partners faced the most difficult phase of the project: the setting of a permanent bike sharing fleet in each university area.
After the accomplishment of the technical tasks of the work program, partners proceeded with the evaluation of the results reached through the realization of a survey amongst the university population in order to evaluate the decrease of CO2 emissions, fuel consumption and use of private cars following the T.A.T. actions. Actions of communication and dissemination of the project material has been developed along the whole duration of the project.
The project yielded the following results:
- sharing among the partners of a common model of analysis of mobility and definition of a shared platform of indicators (mobility awareness, mobility behaviours, energy efficiency, environmental) was achieved;
- The state of art of mobility in each university centre was identified and defined;
- Innovative plans of sustainable mobility were drafted;
- A university car pooling service (in each territory) was implemented;
- A university bike sharing scheme (in each territory) was implemented;
- A process/path of education on sustainable mobility towards university population was defined and realized;
- Best practices of sustainable mobility were disseminated.
Contributed towards the promotion of more sustainable development.