Towards a fast-uptake of mEdium/Low-voltage eLectric power trains
The TELL project addresses the large-scale manufacturing of low and mid voltage power converters and more in general low and mid voltage powertrain solutions targeting:
- The electrification of the small and lower-medium segments accounting for about 70% (8 million/year) of the current total passenger cars sold in Europe,
- Hybrid vehicles adopting a low voltage add-on electric propulsion,
- The lightweight urban mobility sector which on a global scale is exponentially growing.
For this purpose TELL brings together an integrated supply chain including a world leader in Power Semiconductors, two leading Tier1s in Automotive and Industrial powertrains, a high-tech small to medium enterprise in e-mobility applications and a leading-edge RTO.
The specific objectives are to:
- Develop technologies, know-how and best practices for handling thinner wafers throughout the entire supply chain aiming at increasing the global efficiency in urban mobility and those driving cycles having a high number of stops and starts.
- Increase the yield both in the production of chips and at the inverter-level integration.
- Explore the potentiality of Wide Bandgap Semiconductors at low voltage using a novel GaN inverter and a novel synchro motor with integrated GaN switches.
- Develop two types of advanced super-compact powertrains based on Si-Mosfets and GaN FETS on thin chips with embedded state of-the-art control algorithms enabled by electrical powertrains.
- Introduce a higher degree of smartness at a system level in both powertrains.
The achievements will be demonstrated in two EV platforms: 4WD operated at a nominal voltage of 100V and 2WD operated at a nominal voltage of 48V.
The proposed solutions will be 100% made in Europe, robust, efficient, low-cost:
- 25% of cost reduction in mass production with increased user-friendliness and experience,
- highest quality devices and two powertrains solutions meeting and overcoming the current automotive standards.