Complete with results
The project’s objective is to increase transport efficiency for long-distance transports by 50 per cent and reduce emissions by 30 per cent. The project involves the entire vehicle, i.e. tractor and trailer.
A demonstration vehicle was constructed to show that the project’s objectives have been met in physical tests. Simulations of the technical improvements to this point show that the project will achieve its objective.
The tests have proved that:
- Improvements that are aggressive enough to meet the SuperTruck project goals could lead to reduction of the average power demand by as much as 35%.
- There was achieved and overall improvement in engine brake specific efficiency
- There was achieved major improvement in vehicle fuel consumption
- The braking energy required to regulate cruise speed of the vehicle over hilly terrain will increase due to lower drag, rolling resistance and friction forces.
- And advanced vehicle controls become more valuable (e.g. terrain predictions, vehicle communication, torque management, etc.)
There was enhanced efficiency of the vehicle by technical improvements.
Technical improvements were assessed during the simulator tests.