The structure and basis of operation in Israel’s research and development (R&D) system are established in the Law for Promoting Research and Development in Industry.
Institutional framework of transport research
The Ministry of Science and Technology is the government body responsibly for R&D at a political level. It creates and implements the short- and long-term scientific policy with the objective of improving Israel’s knowledge and research infrastructure, to maximize the benefit from the knowledge amassed by researchers at Israel’s research institutions in order to facilitate research with the potential for realistic application. Focused on excellence and positioning Israel as a country at the forefront of science and technology, the Ministry sets scientific priorities in order to enhance its human and physical infrastructure, establish international scientific relations and leverage Israel’s relative advantages. Moreover, the Ministry aims to bring science to the community, strengthen sectors with a minor presence in scientific fields and develop scientific studies in the periphery. The Ministry of Science and Technology is responsible for the National Infrastructure Programme, whereby thematic research centres are given financial support.
The Ministry of Transport and Road Safety is responsible for transport policy and the planning, development and regulation of infrastructure and integrated transport systems. It contributes to the research agenda by informing the Ministry of Science and Technology of research priorities. The Ministry is supported by:
There are two major funding agencies in Israel:
- The Israel Science Foundation (ISF) is Israel’s leading ogranisation that provides public support for basic research in Israel. Their mission is to promote Israeli basic research through a “bottom-up” approach initiated by talented, curiosity-driven individuals, and to nurture entrepreneurship among the scientific research community. Such initiatives inspire the establishment of a variety of ISF programs and funding opportunities. All grants awarded by the ISF are selected based on scientific excellence and vetted through a competitive peer-review process.
- The Israeli Innovation Authority creates, coordinates and operates the national funding programmes in industry. It operates under the Ministry of Economy and government and Parliament (Knesset) Committees regarding innovation in industry. The Israeli R&D Directorate for the European Research Area (ISERD) is the sector within the Innovation Authority responsible for Israel’s role in European programmes.
Transport research can be funded by these agencies, the Ministry of Science and Technology, and through international cooperation programmes. In addition to this, a large share of funding for research comes from private sources.
Funding Sources and Support Initiatives - Current ongoing national programmes are:
- F.I.R.S.T Bikure: This programme supports selected proposals for groundbreaking research in all scientific fields
- Research programme in quantum technologies and science
- Physician-scientist research programme
- MAGNET: A group of funding programmes intended for industrial companies cooperating with academic institutions in long-term R&D processes
In addition to these, there are several joint undertakings between the Israel Science Foundations and other organisations.
International Cooperation Programmes:
- Israel has five binational funds with the US, Canada, South Korea, Singapore and India
- European Research Area