R&I projects by STRIA Roadmap
Evolution of daily funding by mode (Eur)
Top 5 beneficiaries
Distribution of R&I projects by transport mode
Number of projects by funding origin
Distribution of EU funding by transport mode
The Spanish Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy (EECTI) is the multi-annual reference framework for promoting scientific, technical and innovation research, which establishes the objectives shared by all Public Administrations. In order to implement the objectives and key areas indicated, the Strategy will be carried out in two phases (2021-2023 and 2024-2027), each of which will have its corresponding Scientific and Technical Research State Plan, as a tool to implement, materialize and finance the actions and priorities established for the period in question:
The first phase (2021-2023) would focus on guaranteeing the strengths of the system, giving priority to supporting R&D&I in the healthcare area, and to investing in the green and digital transition, with strategic actions in priority industries and large growth-driving projects.
The second phase (2024-2027) would be aimed at shoring up the value of R&D&I as a tool to develop a knowledge-based economy.
The Secure, Sustainable and Connected Mobility Strategy 2030 constitutes the framework that will guide the debate on mobility in Spain, enriched with the contributions of the different actors of the mobility ecosystem. It aims to address three challenges:
- the introduction of technology in mobility,
- the need to decarbonise the economy,
- and the greater concentration of population in large cities and peri-urban areas, with its implications for congestion, people's health (air quality, noise) and depopulation of the rural world.
The Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities is the main organisation responsible for the proposal and execution of government policy on research and development (R&D). It manages international relations in this sector and the Spanish representation in programmes in the EU. The Ministry is supported in coordination, assessment and evaluation of the R&D+I system by the following committees and instruments:
- The Council of Scientific and Technological Policy and Innovation is the general coordination and administrative body for scientific and technical research
- The Advisory Council for Science, Technology and Innovation make recommendations and contribute to state plans to ensure the strategy is achieved
- The Information System on Science, Technology and Innovation is the instrument for data capture and analysis for the drafting and monitoring of the Spanish strategy on Science, Technology and Innovation.
The main instruments of financing Spanish research and development activities are:
- Public core funding
- Financing via tax reductions
- Research Grants
- Private funding
The STI Act defines two national funding organisations, both attached to the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities.
- The National Research Agency (AEI) is an instrument to manage public funding for R&D activities. The goal is to guarantee accountability, improve and extend the monitoring of actions, streamlining the management of available funds, reducing administrative burdens and standardising procedures.
- The Centre for Industrial Technological Development (CDTI) is a body that channels the funding and support applications for national and international R&D+I projects of Spanish companies.
The Ministry of Public Works and Transport is responsible for preparing and implementing government policy on transport.Transport research is financed by the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities. The Ministry of Development contributes to transport research by identifying priority topics and areas with the greatest socioeconomic benefit. Additional transport research funding is provided through European and international opportunities.
There are two main funding programmes in Spain:
- INNPRONTA - A programme for financing large integrated industrial research projects of a large-scale and strategic nature which serve to develop new technologies in forward-looking technological areas
- INNODEMANDA - A financing instrument which supports technology bids in the public purchase of innovation processes