On 2 December 2020, the Council of Ministers adopted the National Development Programme 2030. The strategic framework document is set out with three objectives:
- Accelerated economic development
- Demographic upswing
- Reduction of inequalities
These three goals will be implemented through targeted policies and interventions grouped into five interconnected and integrated development axes; Innovative and Intelligent Bulgaria, Green and Sustainable Bulgaria, Connected and Integrated Bulgaria, Responsive and Just Bulgaria, and Spirited and Vital Bulgaria.
The National Assembly adopted the updated National Scientific Research Development Strategy of the Republic of Bulgaria 2017-2030 on 7 June 2017.
Since July 2011, transport research has been a national research priority. The main policy and strategy documents that currently outline transport research and development are:
- National Plan for the Development of Combined Transport in Bulgaria by 2030
- Integrated Transport Strategy for the period until 2030
The National Reform Programme (NRP) was prepared in implementation of the Europe 2020 strategy and within the framework tool for better coordination of economic policies in the EU - the European semester.
The Ministry of Education and Science is the primary policy-making and coordinating body for national research policy. The Ministry prepares and submits all major policy documents for approval by Parliament. In the Ministry, the main policy-making and coordination body is the National Council for Scientific Research. The Council approves all major research policy documents, including the National Strategy for Scientific Research and priorities for the National Science Fund.
The Ministries of Economy, Energy and Tourism also contributes to formulating research policies. The Ministries are responsible for developing and implementing national innovation policy, which also contains research elements. An advisory body, the National Council on Innovation, has also been established.
The National Transport Policy Directorate in the Ministry of Transport, Information Technology and Communications controls and monitors scientific, technological, standardisation and metrological activities in the transport sector. The ministry has several executive agencies that function as regulatory bodies for the individual transport modes:
- Railway Administration;
- Automobile Administration;
- Maritime Administration;
- Exploration and Maintenance of the Danube River;
- Directorate General Civil Aviation Administration.
The main strategic documents at a national level which involve alternative fuel and ‘Environmentally Friendly Vehicle’ technologies is the National Action Plan for Encouraging the Manufacture and Accelerated Market Penetration in Bulgaria of Environmentally Friendly Vehicles, including Electromobility, over the Period 2012-2014.
The transport research is financed under general research funding and two policy funding instruments:
- National Science Fund under the Ministry of Education and Science promotes science and research initiatives at the national, regional and international level. Funds are distributed according to the provisions under the Law on Scientific Research Promotion.
- National Innovation Fund under the Ministry of Economy, Energy and Tourism promotes and finances the development of a competitive knowledge-based industry in Bulgaria. The Fund is administrated by the Bulgarian Small and Medium Enterprises Promotion Agency (a government body under the Minister for Economy, Energy and Tourism).
Additional funding is available in universities and research centres, and through bilateral and multilateral cooperation programmes between universities, under EU and other international programmes.
Development of the transport system in Bulgaria is currently supported by: