Connecting Europe Facility
The Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) is a genuinely European instrument aimed at supporting the development of high-performing, sustainable and efficiently interconnected trans-European networks in the field of energy, telecommunications and transport. CEF investments are also intended to act as a catalyst to attract further funding from the private sector and other public sector actors.
The Connecting Europe Facility includes three thematic sectors:
- Energy: CEF aims to close financial gaps and to reduce bottlenecks in the energy infrastructure to contribute to the Europe 2020 objectives. The thematic priorities will be smart grids, intelligent, electricity highways and cross-border CO2 cooperation.
- Telecommunication: Digital service infrastructures acts as a platform on which new industries can create innovative applications, and also build digital bridges to facilitate the mobility of citizens and businesses working across borders.
- Transport: CEF provides approximately € 23 billion for the modernisation of the European transport infrastructures, the construction of missing links and the removal of bottlenecks. The focus on environmentally-friendly transport will improve the sustainability of the transport systems in Europe.
CEF is also designed to attract private sector investments to infrastructure through a number of financial risk-sharing instruments, including special lending, guarantees and equity investments. These instruments aim to give credibility to infrastructure projects and to lower their risk profiles. The goal is to offer an alternative to the traditional grant funding and to plug financing gaps for strategic infrastructure investments.
The European Commission gives particular care to ensuring complementarities with interventions supported by other EU programmes, while avoiding potential overlaps. In particular, coordination is pursued in the implementation of CEF with the Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme and the cohesion and structural funds, where the Commission has proposed that important parts of the budget for 2014-2020 be dedicated to projects related to telecommunication, energy and transport infrastructure. Coherence between CEF and the Horizon 2020 programme will guarantee that the research and innovation chain leading to deployment in infrastructure is not interrupted.
- Alternative Fuels and Solutions for Port's Cold-Ironing: Standardisation of Regulatory Framework and Demonstration of Feasible Exploitation
- AUTOCITS: REGULATION STUDY FOR INTEROPERABILITY IN THE ADOPTION THE AUTONOMOUS DRIVING IN EUROPEAN URBAN NODES
- Breakthrough LNG deployment in Inland Waterway Transport
- C-ITS for Trucks
- C-Roads Austria
- C-Roads Belgium/Flanders
- C-Roads Czech Republic
- C-ROADS France
- C-Roads Spain
- Compliance monitoring pilot for Marpol Annex VI
- Connected Corridor for Driving Automation
- Connecting Hydrogen Refuelling Stations
- CYbeR Awareness diploma for NIS Operators
- Cybersecure Corridors for eVehicle Automation
- CybeRsecUrity riSk assessment and mitigation for cOnnected and automated vEhicles
- Decarbonised passenger transport at European airports
- e-Freight Implementation Action
- ELectrification of the Eastern MEDiterranean area (use of Cold Ironing and electricity as a propulsion alternative)
- Evolution of a European hydrogen refuelling station network by mobilising the local demand and value chains
- Go4Synergy in LNG
- LNG for shipping and logistics in Europe
- Models for Economic Hydrogen Refuelling Infrastructure
- Port of Helsingborg - Network and Information Security
- Preventing Incident and Accident by Safer Ships on the Oceans
- Railway Infrastructure Optimisation - Deployment of an innovative and technological rail infrastructure-vehicle interface system to ensure a low-carbon and energy-efficient freight transport system along the TEN-T Core Network Corridors
- Regulation Study for Interoperability in the Adoption of Autonomous Driving in European Urban Nodes
- SCOOP@F Part 2
- SESAR Deployment Programme Implementation
- SOLRED C-ITS Monitoring Network
- STM Validation Project
- Study and deployment of integrated gas & water cleaning system and biofuel-MGO blend for the upgrade of the Atlantic corridor
- Technical Study and Cost-Benefit Analysis for the Development of LNG as a Marine Fuel in Malta
- The small-scale LNG Reloading Terminal in Gdansk and bunkering services
- TSO 2020: Electric “Transmission and Storage Options” along TEN-E and TEN-T corridors for 2020
- Viability analysis on the harmonization of common data type categories for the road and public transport network
- Zero Emission Ferries - a green link across the Öresund