Horizon 2020: INDUSTRIAL LEADERSHIP - Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies
The specific objective is to maintain and build global leadership through research and innovation in enabling technologies and space, which underpin competitiveness across a range of existing and emerging industries and sectors. The global business environment is changing rapidly and the objectives of the Europe 2020 strategy present challenges and opportunities to European industry. Europe needs to accelerate innovation, transforming the knowledge generated to underpin and enhance existing products, services and markets, and to create new ones while maintaining focus on quality and sustainability. Innovation should be exploited in the widest sense, going beyond technology to include business, organisational and social aspects.
The successful mastering, integration and deployment of enabling technologies by European industry is a key factor in strengthening Europe's productivity and innovation capacity and ensuring that Europe has an advanced, sustainable and competitive economy, global leadership in hi-tech application sectors and the ability to develop effective and sustainable solutions for societal challenges. The pervasive nature of such activities can spur further progress through complementary inventions, applications and services, ensuring a higher return on investment in these technologies than in any other field.
These activities will contribute to the objectives of the flagship initiatives 'Innovation Union', 'Resource-efficient Europe', 'An industrial policy for the globalisation era', and 'Digital Agenda for Europe' of the Europe 2020 strategy, as well as to Union space policy objectives.
Complementarities with other activities in Horizon 2020
The activities under the specific objective 'Leadership in Enabling and Industrial Technologies' will be primarily based on research and innovation agendas mainly defined by industry and business, including SMEs, together with the research community and Member States in an open and transparent manner and have a strong focus on leveraging private sector investment and on innovation.
The integration of enabling technologies in solutions for the societal challenges shall be supported together with the relevant challenges. Applications of enabling technologies that do not fall under the societal challenges, but are important for reinforcing the competitiveness of European industry, shall be supported under the specific objective 'Leadership in Enabling and Industrial Technologies'. Appropriate coordination should be sought with the priorities 'Excellent Science' and 'Societal Challenges'.
A common approach
The approach shall include both agenda-driven activities and more open areas to promote innovative projects and breakthrough solutions covering the whole value chain, including R&D, large-scale pilots and demonstration activities, test beds and living labs, prototyping and product validation in pilot lines. Activities shall be designed to boost industrial competitiveness by stimulating industry, and in particular SMEs, to make more research and innovation investment, including through open calls. Adequate focus will be given to small and medium scale projects.
An integrated approach to Key Enabling Technologies
A major component of the specific objective 'Leadership in Enabling and Industrial Technologies' are Key Enabling Technologies (KETs) defined as micro- and nanoelectronics photonics nanotechnology biotechnology advanced materials and advanced manufacturing systems. These multi-disciplinary knowledge and capital-intensive technologies cut across many diverse sectors providing the basis for significant competitive advantage for European industry for stimulating growth and for creating new jobs. An integrated approach promoting the combination convergence and cross-fertilisation effect of KETs in different innovation cycles and value chains can deliver promising research results and open the way to new industrial technologies products services and novel applications (e.g. in space transport agriculture fisheries forestry environment food health and energy). The numerous interactions of KETs and other industrial enabling technologies will therefore be exploited in a flexible manner as an important source of innovation. This will complement support for research and innovation in KETs that may be provided by national or regional authorities under the Cohesion Policy Funds within the framework of smart specialisation strategies.
Innovation requires enhanced cross-technology research efforts. Therefore, multidisciplinary and multi-KET projects should be an integral part of the priority 'Industrial Leadership'. The Horizon 2020 implementation structure supporting KETs and cross-cutting KET activities (multi KETs) should ensure synergies and effective coordination, among others, with societal challenges. In addition, synergies will be sought, where appropriate, between KET activities and the activities under the cohesion policy for 2014-2020, as well as with the EIT.
For all the enabling and industrial technologies, including the KETs, a major aim will be to foster interactions between the technologies and with the applications under the societal challenges. This shall be fully taken into account in developing and implementing the agendas and priorities. It requires that stakeholders representing the different perspectives are fully involved in priority setting and implementation. In certain cases, it will also require actions that are jointly funded by the enabling and industrial technologies and by the relevant societal challenges. This could include joint funding for public-private partnerships that aim to develop technologies, foster innovation and apply such technologies to address societal challenges.
ICT plays an important role as it provides the key basic infrastructures, technologies and systems for vital economic and social processes and new private and public products and services. European industry needs to remain at the cutting edge of technological developments in ICT, where many technologies are entering a new disruptive phase, opening up new opportunities.
Space is a rapidly growing sector which delivers information vital to many areas of modern society, meeting its fundamental demands, addresses universal scientific questions, and serves to secure the Union's position as a major player on the international stage. Space research underpins all activities undertaken in space, but is currently addressed in programmes run by Member States, the European Space Agency (ESA) or in the context of Union Framework Programmes for Research. Union level action and investment in space research are required in accordance with Article 189 TFEU, in order to maintain the competitive edge, to safeguard Union space infrastructures and programmes such as Copernicus and Galileo and to sustain a future role for Europe in space.
In addition, innovative downstream services and user-friendly applications using space derived information represent an important source of growth and job creation, and their development represents an important opportunity for the Union.
Partnering and added value
Europe can achieve critical mass through partnering, clusters and networks, standardisation, promoting cooperation between different scientific and technological disciplines and sectors with similar research and development needs, leading to breakthroughs, new technologies and innovative product, service and process solutions.
The development and implementation of research and innovation agendas including through public–private partnerships, but also by the building of effective industry-academia links, the leveraging of additional investments, the access to risk finance, standardisation and the support to pre-commercial procurement and the procurement of innovative products and services, are all aspects that are essential in addressing competitiveness.
In this regard, strong links with the EIT are also needed to produce and promote entrepreneurial top talents and to speed up innovation by bringing together people from different countries, disciplines and organisations.
Union level collaboration can also support trade opportunities through the support for the development of European or international standards for new emerging products and services and technologies. Development of such standards following consultation of relevant stakeholders, including those from science and industry, could have a positive impact. Activities in support of standardisation and interoperability, safety and pre-regulatory activities will be promoted.
- High energy lithium sulphur cells and batteries
- 5G for Connected and Automated Road Mobility in the European UnioN
- 5G for cooperative & connected automated MOBIility on X-border corridors
- 5G HarmoniseD Research and TrIals for serVice Evolution between EU and China
- 5G-TRANSFORMER: 5G Mobile Transport Platform for Verticals
- A disruptive innovation improving functionality, increasing product life span and removing the need for tyre change through a patented modular tyre system.
- A fast and powerful 3D cargo space usage optimization service for logistics industry
- A New Drive-by-Wire Technology for People with Disabilities and Industrial Applications
- A personal electric mobility snow vehicle
- Advanced Lithium Sulphur battery for xEV
- AErial RObotic System for In-Depth Bridge Inspection by Contact
- AffordabLe LIghtweight Automobiles AlliaNCE
- An autonomous, self-driven robot system to improve the mobility and integration of people, creating a more equal and accessible society
- An open, sustainable, ubiquitous data and service ecosystem for efficient, effective, safe, resilient mobility in metropolitan areas
- AUTOmated driving Progressed by Internet Of Things
- Autonomous Dronistics for Security (ADS): optimized services with fleets of flying robots
- Autonomous emergency manoeuvring and movement monitoring for road transport security
- Big Data for Mobility Tracking Knowledge Extraction in Urban Areas
- BX Platform Converting real time data into more efficient trucking operations
- Changing the electric-vehicle paradigm with green, long-lasting and fast recharge liquid batteries
- Changing the world of urban mobility thanks to Computer Vision and Artificial Intelligence
- Charging network optimized for Light Electric Vehicles (LEVs)
- COherent Support for MObility.E Strategy
- COMPA 2GO Composite Repairs for Ships - Service Demonstration, Certification and Market Entry
- Compact hydro generator for electric vehicles charging stations (to serve as an energy lifebuoy)
- Compact, light, efficient and reliable turbo compressor for fuel cell vehicles
- CROWD sensing and ride sharing FOR ROAD Sustainability
- Developing the electric car that charges itself: Lightyear One
- Disrupting the global e-mobility sector by production of application-specific rotors for the automotive industry with an innovative and unique vertical laminar squeeze-casting process
- Disruptive Bike Logistic Smart Trailer for efficient, painless and zero nuisance last mile delivery in cities
- Disruptive Radar Positioning System for trains
- Dual LIquid Vector for hydrogEn Refueling Station
- Electric Propulsion System for the Air Transportation of Tomorrow
- Electric Scalable Axle Module for e-Mobility
- Enabling a Mobility Back-End as a Robust Service
- End-to-end hardware implementation of Artificial Neural Networks for Edge Computing in Autonomous Vehicles
- Energy efficient and environmentally friendly multi-fuel power system with CHP capability, for stand-alone applications.
- Extending the outdoor navigation experience to the indoors
- Fifth Generation Communication Automotive Research and innovation
- FLYNANO - ELECTRIC AIRCRAFT FEASIBILITY VERIFICATION
- Foot Transport for a Smart Mobility
- For cognitively-impaired or visually-impaired persons suffering from spatial disorientation, a smartphone-based navigation aid that is both reliable and safe for urban pedestrian mobility.
- Fostering the adoption of GALILEO for mobility as a service
- Framework of key enabling technologies for safe and autonomous drones’ applications
- FUEL EFFICIENCY AND EMISSIONS REDUCTION SYSTEM FOR THE MARITIME AND ROADTRANSPORT INDUSTRIES
- Fully robotic system for swapping electric car batteries within 3 minutes.
- Galileo-EGNOS as an Asset for UTM Safety and Security
- Galileo-Enhanced MOTIT: an electric scooter sharing service for sustainable urban mobility
- Ground-breaking two-phase cooling solution for Electrical and Hybrid Vehicles
- Innovative Platform for horizontal collaboration in Road freight transportation
- Integrated, Fail-Operational, Cognitive Perception, Planning and Control Systems for Highly Automated Vehicles
- Joint EUropean Project for International ITS/EGNSS awareness Raising
- Lifecycle-reconfigurable Smart Mobility Platform to enable autonomous and cost-effective personalized solutions for social inclusion of disabled and elderly while leveraging AM technologies
- Long Autonomy E-bike through enhanced Regenerative Braking
- Low Cost Materials Processing Technologies for Mass Production of Lightweight Vehicles
- Main goal of the project is to create a prototype of the software, which will be able to identify people just based on the way how they walk.
- Making CO2-free city logistics a reality
- Market maturation of the first on-board autonomous biofouling cleaning system to keep ship’s hull clean at all times
- Matrix Charging: Novel, automated charging infrastructure for electric vehicles
- METRO High bandwidth, 5G Application-aware optical network, with edge storage, compUte and low Latency
- Navigator and global interface applications for visually impaired people using Galileo satellite technologies
- Next generation bicycle lights. Be visible, understood and expected by other vehicles, whatever the weather, angle and situation.
- Next-generation navigation technologies for autonomous vehicles
- Novel electric stair climber to break barriers in transport of disabled people and goods through a safe, quick and comfortable movement
- NOx-Mitigation Technology for Retrofitting Diesel Engines
- Opportunity to Carry European Autonomous driviNg further with FDSOI technology up to 12nm node
- Optimizing Container Load for Parcel and Pallet Transport Networks
- Optimizing Logistic Fleets with Machine Learning to Enable Sustainable On-Demand Deliveries in Cities
- Pre-Commercial Procurement of Future autonomous bus urban level Operation Systems
- Programmable Systems for Intelligence in Automobiles
- Rare Earth Free Innovative Truck Traction
- Retro Propulsion Assisted Landing Technologies
- Robust and Reliable Environment Sensing and Situation Prediction for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems and Automated Driving
- Safe, fast-charging long-life Sodium-ion batteries for vehicles and power storage
- SELECT for Cities (Standardized, opEn, data-driven, service-oriented user-centric pLatform Enabling large-scale Co-creation, Testing validation of IoE services for Cities)
- Smart & Autonomous Guidance System for Citizen Security in Public Transport and large facilities
- Smart modular passive cool boxes for sustainable logistics
- SmartCharge: Smart integrated circuits for advanced battery management
- System for vehicle-infrastructure Interaction Assets health status monitoring
- Technology for 2G biofuel and biosolvents production verified in a pilot plant
- The cleanest and lowest cost car ever!
- The definitive 100% energy autonomous, CO2-free and recyclable last mile solution
- The definitive solution to prevent fuel theft in road goods transport
- The mobility assistant for the blind and visually impaired
- The most accurate 3D scanner for boosting the uptake of automated guided vehicles (AGVs)
- The on-board railway track & vehicle monitoring system
- Tight integration of EGNSS and on-board sensors for port vehicle automation
- Transforming Transport
- Ultra-flat, ultra-flexible, cost-effective robotic pods for handling legacy in logistics
- VELLO BIKE+ Connected Multimodal Commuting for Greener Cities
- World's first real-time solution for controlling airplane operating costs