PREDIT 3: G.O.5
Logistics and transport of goods (Operational Group 5)
Logistique et transport de marchandises
Freight transport continues to increase and raises numerous questions on future congestion, accident blackspots, environmental effects, etc.
Following results from the preceding Predit 2 programme and the European White Paper on Transport, in order to properly tackle this problem, transport policy should be based on co-ordination between logistic strategies, transport and public policies, and not only on technical or organisational measures in transport.
Research initiated by this group aims at producing better knowledge of the organisation and future of logistics systems, their impact on the characteristics of demand in the transport of goods.
The following axes have been defined within this operational group:
- Knowledge of logistic systems and their evolution: understanding logistic strategies within a general economic context and their impact on transport functioning.
- Urban logistics: analyse of functional constraints in freight transport, their impact on the organisation and quality of the logistic chain.
- Return logistics: analysis of the conception of products by regarding their whole life cycle up to their recycling.
- Social issues and socio-economics of freight companies.
- Public policies, logistic strategy and freight transport: freight transport systems generally depend on public policy leads in various fields. The aim of this theme is to analyse the impact of public choices on logistic strategies.
- Use of new technologies in logistics: this is still constrained by commercial, economic, legislative and cultural barriers. Work has to be done to test new public/private developments in this field.
- Strategic corridors: to gain a better knowledge of the constitution of these corridors and their functioning.
See main programme form for Predit 3 for details.
40 (ongoing in 2002-2003)
Examples of projects are:
- Green freight corridor in Europe
- Study of road freight traffic across the Alps
- Damage and monitoring of freight transport.