One of the transition priorities of the Flemish government vision 2050 is a 'Smooth and smart mobility system'. For this priority, safety on the road and emissions reduction are key concerns to reduce road accidents. To contribute to these goals, a new partnership initiative has been established to turn Cooperative Intelligent Transport systems (C-ITS) into reality whereby cooperation and connectedness between mobility actors and transport infrastructure are improved through cloud service applications. C-ITS technologies need to be screened on market readiness before scaling them up on public roads.
Inspired on the Dutch Talking Traffic partnership, Flanders government introduced a Mobilidata programme to install smart traffic infrastructure on Flanders roads.
- Investing in operationalisation of intelligent traffic lights cooperating in the cloud with road users on Flemish roads according to traffic situations most relevant to be addressed in use cases.
- Developing an open data system whereby road users get access to and deliver relevant (real time) information to the system.
- Developing policy supporting tools, developing R&D for the ‘next generation’ mobility use cases with a focus on vulnerable road users (bikes and pedestrians) and truck guidance applications.
- Situations within possible use cases analysis for selection through an extensive survey carried out for the public and private sector (including a citizen and market consultation).
- Screening of market readiness of the technology.
- If no precommercial phase for innovative cases, procurement will be open for the identified use cases.
A programme budget of € 29 million over 5 years has been earmarked to take stock of and analyse use cases on their relevancy for Flanders, and define a selected number to be procured (those that are of importance for all kind of the road users such as installing regulatory systems for green traffic flows, safety concerns, priority vehicles, etc)
Possibly EU funding from CEF Transport (C-ITS priority)
Use cases to be defined.