Freight transport is expected to grow rapidly and represent a key issue in the short and long term regarding sustainable development. This can be addressed by technological development and innovation.
This operational group aims to explore all future prospects provided by new technologies to develop, optimise and regulate freight transport.
This operational group focuses on five themes:
- Optimise and regulate flows on existing infrastructure: in short term this encompasses road signs and on-board-units. Includes promoting optimal speeds for the chosen lane, routing advice to avoid congestion, etc. One example is the automated road for HGVs: reserved lanes for guided convoys at an optimal speed.
- Improve environmental compatibility of road freight transport: regarding pollution reduction, noise devices, etc but also progress in organisation (fully loading HGVs, reduction of empty HGVs, etc).
- Favour non-road modes: in accordance with European policy this consists of encouraging rail, inland waterway and maritime transport.
- Improve quality of services: improve transport condition of goods, to minimise risks of damage, delays, etc.
- Improve safety for passengers and goods.
See main programme form for Predit 3 for details.
Mr Ludovic Valadier (2)
(2) Ministère Délégué à la Recherche et aux Nouvelles Technologies