Through raising awarness about the benefits and practicability of publich transport the BENEFIT Project worked with helping public and private companies, as well as their employees, to shift from travelling to work with their private cars to using public transport.
The BENEFIT Project had five main objectives:
- To reduce the total fuel consumption of passenger traffic by 2% in the selected target area during the projects duration;
- To reduce the emission from car traffic of environmental pollution and toxic substances;
- To increase the number of public transport passengers through active awareness raising tasks, new information paths, innovative incentives and an improved public transport offer;
- To increase the attractiveness of public transport through companies cooperating with public transport operators, and;
- To act as a role model for other cities that could benefit from the results of the project.
BENEFIT used existing networks (for instance ELTIS), as well as established new networks (for example through the local stakeholder forums), to reach its main target groups. This strategy formed the basis for the success of BENEFIT and prepared the ground for potential followers. It also produced dissemination materials for use during and after the project.
The Dissemination material consisted of: website, e-newsletters, folders, postcards, fact sheets, PPT presentations and roll-ups. The applications are well documented on the website.
The BENEFIT Project generated 8 000 new public transport users in the target areas, which is an increase of 4.9%.
- 250 367 employees and students were reached by awwareness campaigns.
- 14 435 mobility packages were distributed.
- 129 local stakeholder organisations were involved through the participation at local stakeholder forums.
- 33 local stakeholders participated in an international exchange event.
- 19 raffles were conducted.
- 16 action days were organised, and;
- 15 companies, schools and universities introduced job tickets.
Contributed towards the policy goal of creating more sustainable ways of transporting passengers within urban environments, and hence also to the goal of reducing emissions of environmental pollutants.
Contributes towards promoting more sustainable development and an integrated urban mobility.
Creating environmental sustainability.