The TransSec project addresses a new danger in European countries, the increasing number of terror attacks. Recent terror attacks with trucks in Nice and Berlin have shown drastically the damage a heavy truck can cause, how easy it is to misuse a truck for attacks and that newest safety systems cannot prevent these attacks. As a consequence road transport safety has to be supplemented by road transport security. TransSec aims to initiate the development of this Security Truck.
The project objective is:
- Development and evaluation of systems built-in or to be used by trucks for secure road transport of (dangerous) goods.
- Preventing trucks and transport of goods to be misused for other purposes such as terror attacks.
Specific objectives are:
- Precise vehicle positioning and navigation on road (lane) and off road.
- Vehicle movement monitoring for dangerous goods with critical area alarm/eCall.
- Vehicle communication security for critical information exchange.
- Onboard precrash environment detection of vulnerable objects on/ off road.
- Non-defeatable autonomous emergency manoeuvring for crash prevention on/off road.
The implementation is done in an explorative and incremental development cycle with early prototypes adding functionality step by step. Demonstrations with a truck on and off road will show solutions after 12, 24 and 36 months. Testing and pilots on public roads and public areas will prove a higher level of security.