The objective of the study was to assess the quality and safety of motorways in Croatia.
There are main characteristics of the motorway system:
- As on 31 December 2015, the total length of the motorway network in Croatia amounted to 1,313.8 km.
- On 31 December 2015, the works were in progress on: 6.3 km of motorways 23.1 km of fast roads, 1.2 km of link roads
- The total of HRK 349.07 million (€ 45.87 million) was invested in the construction of new motorways in 2015, while HRK 136.26 million (€ 17.91 million) was invested into sections under traffic.
- In 2015 all motorway companies experienced increase in traffic when compared to the previous year. The total traffic of all vehicles increased by 7.21 % in comparison with the previous year.
- The closed toll collection system, with several entrance and exit points, is predominantly operated in the Republic of Croatia. The open toll collection system is less used (e.g. on Bregana - Zagreb Motorway, on the Krk Bridge, on Rupa-Rijeka and on the St.Ilija Tunnel).
- In 2015, the total toll revenues amounted to EUR 317,254.203 which represents an increase of toll revenues by 6.50 percent when compared to the previous year.
- The total of 2,286 traffic accidents, with 19 fatalities and 307 accidents with injuries was registered in 2015. The total number of all traffic accidents registered in 2015 increased by 5 % but total number of fatalities decreased by 24 %, when compared to the previous year.