The FR8RAIL project proposal is submitted as part of the Shift2Rail Research and Innovation Action. Within the FR8RAIL project proposal there are eighteen European partners. The main aim of the FR8RAIL project proposal is the development of functional requirements for a sustainable and attractive European rail freight.
These objectives of FR8RAIL are:
- A 10% reduction in the cost of freight transport measured by tonnes per Km
- A 20% reduction in the time variations during dwelling
- increase attractiveness of logistic chains by making available 100% of the rail freight transport information to logistic chain information systems
The objectives of the FR8RAIL project will be achieved by developing a number of vital areas within freight rail. There are six main areas of work that form the backbone of this proposal’s approach in achieving the development of functional requirements for a sustainable and attractive European rail freight. The work areas are
- Business Analytics, KPIs, Top Level Requirements
- Condition Based and Predictive Maintenance
- Telematics & Electrification
- Running Gear, Core and Extended Market Wagon
- Automatic Coupling
- High level System Architecture and Integration.
The outcome of FR8RAIL and its deliverables are expected to positively contribute to and support the Shift2Rail goals set out in the Strategic Masterplan and the Multi Annual Action Plan viz. to strengthen the role of rail in the transport system, and in particular freight rail transport.