DeVelopment of a Universal seLeCtive stripping solution for Aircraft coatiNgs
The VULCAN project aims to develop an innovative dry selective stripping process using laser shock for airframe surfaces. The process will allow a layer by layer stripping on metallic and composite substrates thanks to a fine tuning of process parameters.
The VULCAN project objective is to go beyond traditional laser IR or UV stripping using laser shock in order to fulfil all requirement of aerospace industry that are:
- Development of a dry stripping process
- Environmental friendliness: no use of chemicals and liquid solutions, reduction of production of hazardous wastes, no water consumption, limited worker exposure to toxic and hazardous substances, reduction of hazardous material disposal costs
- Universal solution that can be applied on metallic and composite substrates
- Selective = controlled stripping of a thin layer without affecting the surface treatment or the prime
- For metals = corrosion protection stays intact, for composites = no top coat or fibres damages
- No deformation or any kind of damage
- Automated for productivity benefits (cost effective, reproducibility, efficient speed
The consortium is composed of 2 partners who have a long track record in laser technology, coating development and aerospace materials testing's.