EfficienSea 2 - Efficient, Safe and Sustainable Traffic at Sea
The trend in navigational accidents no longer appears to decrease. In a Formal Safety Assessment (IMO NAV59-6, Annex 1) 5.544 navigational and 7.275 other accidents resulted in the loss of 6.264 lives (2001-2010).
The coinciding of EU policies on safer and more efficient waterborne operations and in particular the e-maritime initiative with IMO’s strategy for e-navigation, opens a unique window of opportunity to influence the maritime sector and make substantial impact. Funding of EfficienSea 2 will enable the consortium to exploit this window of opportunity, supporting EU policies and marine traffic management through services to:
- Improve navigational safety and efficiency
- Improve Arctic navigation and emergency response
- Decrease administrative burdens
- Improve environmental monitoring & enforcement
Lasting impact will be ensured by five enabling actions:
- Development of the Maritime Cloud – a communication framework for both e-maritime and e-navigation - enabling efficient sharing of information between all maritime stakeholders
- Maturing emerging communication technologies, improving ships connectivity
- Proactive facilitation of standardisation to maximize adoption and impact
- Showcasing solutions in two very different geographic areas. Web-based initial implementation of the services will be done in the Arctic and the Baltic
- Ensure an ambitious upgrade of international maritime safety regimes through a strong participation in regulatory bodies including EU and IMO
EfficienSea 2 has gathered a unique level of competence in a consortium of 32 partners from 10 countries representing authorities, academia, international organisations as well as equipment manufacturers combining all the right capacities for effectively achieving these ambitious objectives.