The aim of the program is to research technologically innovative, cost-effective solutions for the development of sustainable energy production and consumption, increase of energy efficiency and development of environmentally friendly renewable energy resources. In total, the program consisted of 6 projects:
- Innovative energy electronics technologies for increasing energy efficiency in the Latvian economy, future electricity supply networks and the use of renewable energy resources;
- Optimization of energy system development planning and energy production, trade and distribution;
- Sustainable climate policy and innovative, energy-efficient technological solutions;
- Innovative technologies for hydrogen and biofuel extraction, storage, quality control, quality assurance and use in Latvia;
- Impact assessment of energy and climate policy;
- Comprehensive studies on innovative technologies for the extraction and use of renewable energy sources and the potential for biogas production in the waste recycling sector.
The main results of the project include:
- a strategy for the development of a sustainable transport sector in Latvia, proposals for the implementation of the Energy Efficiency Law to increase the energy efficiency of buildings have been provided;
- a study on the improvement of biodiesel production methods through the development of new catalysts;
- a study on the improvement of biodiesel production methods by developing glycerol oxidation processes with oxygen;
- arylation of activated carbon with 4-sulfobenzenediazonium chloride gave a new heterogeneous catalyst for biodiesel synthesis, which shows high activity in esterification and unesterification reactions;
- a study on the synthesis of hydrocarbons from rapeseed oil required for the production of diesel fuel;
- the development of a simple but efficient technology for the conversion of various biomass materials into fermentable sugars and further into liquid biofuels, bioethanol.