Extend Framework architecture for cooperative systems
E-FRAME is a Support Action project that provided support for the creation of inter-operable and scalable Cooperative Systems throughout the European Union. It provided a centre of knowledge that is commercially and politically neutral and which services everyone's long-term interests.
The project extended the European ITS Framework (FRAME) Architecture to include Cooperative Systems and showed how it can be used to develop and implement Cooperative Systems throughout Member States or regions and provide one-to-one advice and guidance to nations, regions and projects.
The project will start from the architecture work that has already been undertaken by the current Cooperative System integrated projects, and the combined set of User Needs that is currently being produced. The FRAME Architecture will then be extended to include the applications and services being considered by these integrated projects and thus provide a common language with which to describe them. This will be updated later with inputs from other Cooperative System projects. The project will then use the Extended FRAME Architecture to create Physical and Communication Viewpoints to show how these applications and services could be deployed in an ITS Architecture for Cooperative Systems. It will also show how sub-sets can be used to describe the integrated project Test Site demonstrators in a common manner.
Standards are needed to ensure compatibility and the ITS Architecture for Cooperative Systems are to be used to study the likely standardisation requirements and create a set of recommendations for the appropriate organisations. The project added to the existing guidance on using the FRAME Architecture by producing Deployment and Organisational Models for Cooperative Systems. It also provided a Help Desk, Seminars and Workshops to those national, regional, Euro-regional or EC projects that wished to know how to apply the Extended FRAME Architecture to develop their plans for Cooperative Systems.
The E-Frame project:
- Extended the European intelligent transport system Framework (FRAME) Architecture to include Cooperative Systems;
- Showed how the Extended FRAME Architecture can be used to develop and implement Cooperative Systems in Member States, regions and projects;
- Provided advice on the capture of deployment and operational issues for a given ITS Architecture;
- Studied the standardisation issues for Cooperative Systems highlighted by given ITS Architectures and created a set of recommendations for the appropriate organisations;
- Organised Working Groups, Seminars and Workshops for all stakeholders to study the business cases and how to apply the Extended FRAME Architecture;
- Developed advice and guidance on using the Extended FRAME Architecture.
Innovating for the future: technology and behaviour