Tourism is important to the economic and social sustainability of many communities in the Northern Periphery Progamme area.
The aim of the project is to develop innovative, long term and sustainable solutions for transport services adapted to rural tourism areas in the Northern Periphery.
This will be done by implementing new and improved public transport and related information services:
- New tourist bus services, operated to meet local and seasonal demand (shuttle or flexible timetables) and integrated with long distance transport.
- Food delivery and recycling pick-up services to/from cabins and rental apartments
- User friendly web and mobile phone based transport information systems.
The services will facilitate development of tourism in the project areas whilst reducing carbon emissions and local congestion from private cars. The project results will be disseminated to the wider Northern Periphery through a website, newsletters and seminars, and a joint policy advice paper on transport planning in rural tourism areas will also be produced.
Products and services:
- Funäsfjällen travel guide application: A travel guide application for smart phones that handles information on how to travel to and within within Funäsfjällen including a search for ski buses at specific pick up points and drop of points by name or on a map for tourists.
- Journey Genie: An interactive website with static (and in a later phase user generated) content and a database driven application to search, plan and save journeys. It provides an interface between public transport information and visitor information enabling the user to create, share and edit itineraries or follow suggested tours.
- Burren & Cliffs of Moher Geopark App and Website: Improved timetable information and interactive application for iPhone and android, providing information on public transport timetables, journey planners, car pooling options, walking and cycling routes, and e-car charging points, to promote and encourage visitors and locals to use sustainable travel options to access and explore the Burren & Cliffs of Moher Geopark.
- Public transport service Lofsdalen: Local transport service comprising a ski bus, a taxi service, guided tours in summer and Ski- and bicycle rental, with the timetable adjusted to seasonal needs. The transport service is adapted to carrying equipment such as skis, bicycles etc.
- Transfer bus service to Sveg, Funäsfjällen and Lofsdalen: A transfer bus service integrated with long distance bus, train and airport timetables and adapted to carrying equipment such as skis, bicycles etc. for guests wanting to travel to Funäsfjällen and Lofsdalen.
- Delivery services of groceries to holiday homes: A grocery and takeaway food delivery service for tourists in the area of Lofsdalen.
- Ride share service for tourists in the East of Iceland: A ride share initiative with defined spots to be picked up by the provider of the ride and set rates for kilometres driven.
- Car pooling service for locals and tourists: Car pooling service for locals and tourists as part of the Burren & Cliffs of Moher Geopark App and Website to promote and encourage visitors and locals to use sustainable travel options to access and explore the Geopark.