The public transport sector in the Czech Republic was quite closed and dominated by several oligopolistic providers of transport services. Changes and opening of this transport sector might be desirable.
The objective of the project was to update the survey of ticketing systems based on smart cards in various areas of passenger transport, to create an analysis of legislative barriers that prevent the use of contactless smart cards and the co-operation among transport systems.
Following steps were provided:
- Analysis of ticketing systems in the Czech Republic and suggestion of standards in this field of public transport
- Survey among users of ticketing systems in PT (transport operators, organizers of public transport and public authorities, passengers).
- Analysis pf public service contracts and adoption of EC Regulation on PT services by rail and by road.
These methodologies were applied:
- Methodology for market access of a new carrier on regular public transport service;
- Methodology for assessment of complex conditions for public transport carriers before entering on the market of public transport;
- Methodology of organization of urban freight transport in the Czech Republic.
The cooperation with manufacturers of ticketing systems, aiming to establish the standards for ticketing systems. An organizer of Integrated Transport System KORDIS was involved in the cooperation.
A survey was carried out to find out requirements of public authorities for the ticketing systems based on contactless smart cards. Also the demands and expectations of passengers as customers of the system were taken into account.
Analysis of the public service contracts in accordance with EC Regulation on public passenger transport services by rail and by road and the adoption of the Law on public transport has been provided.
Findings were useful for a successful application for science and research project entitled "Support for standardizing ticketing systems as a part of integrated transport systems"
Analysis of possibilities for enhancing using of integrated ticketing in public transport.
Supporting tool for enhancing of integration in the field of public transport.