Horizon2020 - The EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation
Horizon 2020 is the financial instrument implementing the Innovation Union, a Europe 2020 flagship initiative aimed at securing Europe's global competitiveness. Running from 2014 to 2020 with an € 80 billion budget, the EU's new programme for research and innovation is part of the drive to create new growth and jobs in Europe.
Horizon 2020 provides major simplification through a single set of rules. It will combine all research and innovation funding currently provided through the Framework Programmes for Research and Technical Development, the innovation related activities of the Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Programme (CIP) and the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT).
Horizon 2020 will raise the level of excellence in Europe's science base and ensure a steady stream of world-class research to secure Europe's long-term competitiveness. It will support the best ideas, develop talent within Europe, provide researchers with access to priority research infrastructure, and make Europe an attractive location for the world's best researchers.
Horizon 2020 will: support the most talented and creative individuals and their teams to carry out frontier research of the highest quality by building on the success of the European Research Council (ERC);
- fund collaborative research to open up new and promising fields of research and innovation through support for Future and Emerging Technologies (FET);
- provide researchers with excellent training and career development opportunities through the Marie Curie Actions;
- ensure Europe has world-class research infrastructures (including e-infrastructures) accessible to all researchers in Europe and beyond.
The Competitive Industries objective aims at making Europe a more attractive location to invest in research and innovation, by promoting activities where businesses set the agenda. It will provide major investment in key industrial technologies, maximise the growth potential of European companies by providing them with adequate levels of finance and help innovative SMEs to grow into world-leading companies.
Horizon 2020 will:
- build leadership in enabling and industrial technologies, with dedicated support for ICT, nano-technologies, advanced materials, biotechnology, advanced manufacturing and processing, and space, while also providing support for cross-cutting actions to capture the accumulated benefits from combining several Key Enabling Technologies;
- facilitate access to risk finance;
- provide Union wide support for innovation in SMEs.
Horizon 2020 reflects the policy priorities of the Europe 2020 strategy and addresses major concerns shared by citizens in Europe and elsewhere. A challenge-based approach will bring together resources and knowledge across different fields, technologies and disciplines, including social sciences and the humanities. This will cover activities from research to market with a new focus on innovation-related activities, such as piloting, demonstration, test-beds, and support for public procurement and m
Horizon 2020 is a key tool in implementing the Innovation Union flagship initiative, in delivering on the commitments made therein and in responding to the conclusions of the 4 February 2011 European Council and to the European Parliament's Resolution of 12 May 2011 on the Innovation Union.
Horizon 2020 brings together all existing Union research and innovation funding, including
the Framework Programme for Research, the innovation related activities of the
Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Programme and the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT)
- Throttle free natural gas engine - High performance throttle free gas engine for trucks on LNG
- Throttle free natural gas engine - High performance throttle free gas engines for inland vessels
- E-ferry - Prototype and full-scale demonstration of next generation 100% electrically powered ferry for passengers and vehicles
- SUCCESS - Sustainable Urban Consolidation CentrES for conStruction
- SRDE - System to Reduce Dust Emission from braking system of automotive vehicles.
- aDverse wEather eNvironmental Sensing systEm
- African Governance and Space: Transport Corridors, Border Towns and Port Cities in Transition
- Automotive Big Data Marketplace for Innovative Cross-sectorial Vehicle Data Services
- Biofuels from WASTE TO ROAD transport
- CarbON Valorisation in Energy-efficient Green fuels
- City Logistics in Living Laboratories
- Cloud Large Scale Video Analysis
- Collective Innovation for Public Transport in European Cities
- Demonstration of INTElligent grid technologies for renewables INTEgration and INTEractive consumer participation enabling INTEroperable market solutions and INTErconnected stakeholders
- Developing the next generation Macro-Algae based biofuels for transportation via advanced bio-refinery processes
- Development of a new and highly efficient micro-scale CHP system based on fuel-flexible gasification and a SOFC
- Development of an innovative and safe ultralight two-seater turbine helicopter
- Development of competitive, next generation biofuels from municipal solid waste
- Electric LOsses Balancing through integrated STorage and power Electronics towards increased synergy between Railways and electricity distribution networks
- Enabling the Energy Union through understanding the drivers of individual and collective energy choices in Europe
- Energy and economic efficiency for today’s smart communities through integrated multi storage technologies
- Energy Local Storage Advanced system
- European Initiative to Enable Validation for Highly Automated Safe and Secure Systems
- FUTUre RAil freight transport: cost-effective, safe, quiet and green!
- GEM in-wheel motor
- Generalized Operational FLEXibility for Integrating Renewables in the Distribution Grid
- High performance throttle free gas engine for trucks on LNG
- High performance throttle free gas engines for inland vessels
- HOLISTIC AND INTEGRATED URBAN MODEL FOR SMART CITIES
- ICT Infrastructure for Connected and Automated Road Transport
- InDrive : Automotive EGNSS Receiver for High Integrity Applications on the Drive
- Integrated and Replicable Solutions for Co-Creation in Sustainable Cities
- integrated Smart GRID Cross-Functional Solutions for Optimized Synergetic Energy Distribution, Utilization Storage Technologies
- Low Cost GNSS and Computer Vision Fusion for Accurate Lane Level Navigation and Enhanced Automatic Map Generation
- MAximizing the UPscaling and replication potential of high level urban transformation strategies
- Meaningful Mobility: a novel approach to movement within and between places in later life
- Multidimensional, integrated, risk assessment framework and dynamic, collaborative Risk Management tools for critical information infrastructures
- Needs Tailored Interoperable Railway
- Next Generation of SMARt Active Inceptor for Tilt Rotor Application
- Promoting Excellence and Recognition Seal of European Aerospace Universities
- Prototype and full-scale demonstration of next generation 100% electrically powered ferry for passengers and vehicles
- Pulp and Paper Industry Wastes to Fuel
- Quality assurance concepts for adhesive bonding of aircraft composite structures by extended NDT
- REnaissance of Places with Innovative Citizenship and TEchnolgy
- Robust and Efficient processes and technologies for Drop In renewable FUELs for road transport
- Rotterdam, Umea and Glasgow: Generating Exemplar Districts In Sustainable Energy Deployment
- Sharing Cities
- Smart and Inclusive Solutions for a Better Life in Urban Districts
- SMart IsLand Energy systems
- Smart Logistics and Freight Villages Initiative
- Smart system of renewable energy storage based on INtegrated EVs and bAtteries to empower mobile, Distributed and centralised Energy storage in the distribution grid
- Smart Transition of EU cities towards a new concept of smart Life and Economy
- Sustainable Drop-In Transport fuels from Hydrothermal Liquefaction of Low Value Urban Feedstocks
- Sustainable Urban Consolidation CentrES for conStruction
- System to Reduce Dust Emission from braking system of automotive vehicles.
- Towards Smart Zero CO2 Cities across Europe
- Triangulum: The Three Point Project / Demonstrate. Disseminate. Replicate.
- Unifying Control and Verification of Cyber-Physical Systems
- unrAvelLing sLow modE travelinG and tRaffic: with innOvative data to a new transportation and traffic theory for pedestrians and bicycles
- UP-Drive : Automated Urban Parking and Driving
- Wide scale demonstration of Integrated Solutions and business models for European smartGRID