Within the industrial sector, energy is one of the largest participants in the development of GDP, estimated at approximately 6%.
The Enhancement Plan of Renewal Energy (IDAE/MINER), predicted in the Law of the Electric Sector, requires research and technical development actions to facilitate the applications of this plan.
Development of alternative propulsion systems and new combustible fuels for the transport sector.
a) Alternative combustibles
Development of safe and competitive use of hydrogen technologies
Development of new oxygenated combustibles
Development of technologies based on the production and utilisation of bio-fuels, from seeds or ligno-cellulose materials.
b) Combustible fuel improvement
Improve processes and catalytic refinement technologies
Development of less pollutant innovative production technologies for the automobile sector.
c) Electric propulsion
Development of new battery recharge systems
Development of advanced batteries
Development of fuel cells for cars.
Funding corresponds to the Energy National Programme, whose strategic actions are regulated by the Enhancement Technical Research Programme (PROFIT), included within the Scientific Research National Plan, Technological Development and Innovation (2000-2003).
Financial aid to projects and actions of research and technological development can be granted in accordance with the following criteria:
a) Reimbursable advance payments:
- Industrial research projects with moderate technological development;
- Technical viability projects previous to industrial research projects, with moderate technological development;
- Pre-competitive development projects with moderate technological development;
- Technological demonstration projects with moderate technological development.
- Industrial research projects with advanced technological development;
- Technical viability studies to previous industrial research activities with advanced technological development;
- Pre-competitive development projects with advanced technological development;
- Technological demonstration projects with advanced technological development;
- Special actions;
- Projects and actions in the participation in the EUREKA and IBEROEKA programmes, Framework Programmes of the European Community for research, demonstration and technological development, and other international co-operative scientific research and technological development programmes.