The project is financed from the European Union Structural Assistance funds 2007–2013 according to the Economic Growth Action Plan Priority 5 “Development of Trans-European Transport Networks“instrument VP2-5.1-SM-01-V “Enhancement of the Permeability of Trans-European Road Infrastructure. Improvement of Technical Parameters".
I Transport Corridor (VIA BALTICA) cross the territory of Lithuania in the south-north direction connecting two posts of border crossing of Lithuanian Republic - Saločiai and Kalvarija. In the territory of Lithuanian Republic five main roads constitute the I Transport corridor: A10 Panevėžys–Pasvalys–Ryga, A17 Panevėžys bypass, A8 Panevėžys–Aristava–Sitkūnai, A1 Vilnius–Kaunas–Klaipėda, A5 Kaunas–Marijampolė–Suvalkai. This Corridor goes with European Road E67 and on the separate sections – with other Transport Corridors of all Europe: with Transport Corridor IXB - on the Road A1 section from 102,04 km to 114,54 km; with Transport Corridor IXD - on the Road A5 section from 0,0 km to 63,76 km;
The main objectives of the project:
- reconstruction and reinforcing of road cover, degraded due to the increased traffic volume;
- implementation of missing traffic safety measures and reconstruction of the actual;
- reconstruction of crossing which causes biggest problems; reduction of negative road impact upon the environment;
The Project includes:
- strengthening of road pavement – 27.33 km;
- reconstruction of Marvele intersection – 1 unit;
- construction of deceleration acceleration lane - 0.323 km;
- construction of wire net fencing – 5.02 km;
- construction of pedestrian – cycling paths – 2,99 km.