SOMCET-Net system has been developed in the framework of the AMTRANS National Research and Development Programme, 'Transports' sub-programme.
It is oriented on eServices for freight transport.
The offered eServices are the following:
- route optimisation and
- real time vehicle monitoring.
The system users are carriers, freight providers and brokers.
- Integration of road transport services specific to marketing, route planning and vehicle monitoring;
- Real time management of transport demands, offers and orders;
- Improvement of the conditions for road transport information integration and vehicle and driver security;
- Minimised vehicle management risk;
- Assurance of just in time freight delivery;
- Development of a reliable communication system between agents involved in road transport area;
- Minimised communication time between agents involved in road transport area;
- Conformance with International and European standards in Electronics, Information Technology and Communication, and road transport area;
- Road transport cost optimisation;
- Taking into account the European Union policies regarding free movement of goods and services;
- Supporting of the European enlargement process because the European relationships between public and private agents, from different European countries, can be electronically managed;
- Contribution to the development of information society technologies in transport, commercial and government areas through the system functionalities.
The methodology used allows to assist the information flows specific to the road sector through an information system that uses information, communication and electronics technologies.
The system has been developed by integrating GPS, GIS, GSM, SQL SERVER 2000, graphic interfaces, optimisation algorithms, ASP-NET and UML.