Numerous modelling, design optimisation and experimental tools and solvers have been developed and used until recently, both in Europe and in China, and have proven to be of significant value in many industrial applications when not explicitly treating the coupling due to multidisciplinary effects. So far, the correct use of such single discipline codes is limited to a specific range of applications. Despite recent efforts, there is still a lack of initial information on available methods, codes and experiments related to loosely and strongly coupled multidisciplinary problems in aeronautics in Europe and China, involving two or more different fields (such as fluid/structure, fluid/acoustics, fluid/heat transfer, structure/acoustics, pollution flows, composite materials, etc.) and emphasising the importance of human aspects and flexible integration on collaborative environments.
The aim of the AEROCHINA2 Coordination Support Action (CSA) is to foster the cooperation between a number of industry, university and research organisations in the aeronautics sector in Europe and China in the field of multi-physics modelling, computer simulation and code validation, experimental testing and design methods for the solution of multi-physics problems of interest to the aeronautic sector. The spectrum multi-physical disciplines considered in AEROCHINA2 which are of interest of European and Chinese partners are Aerodynamics, Structures & Materials, Fluid Dynamics, Aeroacoustics, Active Flow Control and Aero Elasticity.
The general strategic objectives of the project are the following:
- To identify areas of mutual RTD interest, and to clarify the skills, experiences and capabilities of the Chinese partners in the relevant technological areas of multi-physics analysis and design;
- To develop concepts of collaboration in those areas between the European and Chinese partners in order to ensure a win-win situation;
- To prepare specific RTD activities that are mature enough for joint proposals in the EC's Seventh Framework Programme (FP7).
These AEROCHINA2 objectives correspond to a more long-term preparation necessary for a substantial and sustainable win-win co-operation in forthcoming FP7 calls.
The specific project activities focus on:
- Prospective studies on the existing methods for single and multi-physics simulation, experimentation and design tools in Europe and China.
- The development of a common database incorporating the knowledge of the relevant multi-physics simulation/validation/design technology in Europe and China.
- Identification of possible co-operation in RTD areas.
- The organisation of a workshop (in China) and two database workshops (one in Europe and one in China) in order to interchange and be prepared to share knowledge on the field of multi-physics simulation, validation and design.
- The organisation of one short course (in Europe) in the multi-physics fields.
- The dissemination of the project outputs among universities, research centres and industries in the aeronautic sector in Europe and China.
- Specification of prospective strategy and work plans
- Web based AEROCHINA2 Communication System
- State of the art review and collection of single and multi physics data
- Identification of future joint multi-physics RTD activities
- Dissemination activities
- Identification of RTD areas for future collaboration
A specific Web-based Communication System, AEROCHINA based new EU-China Database and also Collaborative platform will be activated by CIMNE and INRIA with the coordination of CAE for the Chinese component for reproducing sharing knowledge concepts by collaborative teams. This environment will include the necessary facilities for compiling and disseminating multidisciplinary analysis and test data in numerical and graphic form. The AEROCHINA2 Communication System will also be a day-to-day communication tool between the European and Chinese partners and the EC officers for exchanging all kind of information related to the project.
4. The external dimension