This project was devoted to develop a global tool, integrating many technologies, for the management of the security in harbour environments. Portel Telematic Services S.A. is the main integrator of technologies for the security and communications within the Spanish seaports and has been deploying security systems and telecommunications infrastructures in the dock maritime sector. This company has been developing I+D+i activities with high technologies, and in this working line it is detected the actual systems for port security, both national and European, offer separated alternatives for each necessity in security matter. Moreover, as a consequence of the actual legislation, there existed the necessity to follow the activities which are carried out within the port installations, both in land and sea.
This project supposed the integration of all the security technologies in use, in order to facilitate the establishment of common procedures in security matters in every harbour, in a similar manner as was established for airports, by taking into account their differences. It dealt with the implementation of a computer tool which harmonised the needs of harbour authorities, in a secure matter, and that satisfies all current national and European norms.
The solution to be developed had the following components:
- Security installation control against unlawful acts: access control, plate recognition systems and containers, CCTV systems, video signal processing systems, anti-intrusion peripheral system, SOS post and traffic lights.
- Security installation control for emergencies: fire detectors, water network, spraying network equipment houses against fire, dump retain systems, dangerous goods enclosures and dump enclosures.
- Control of navigation support systems: lighthouse, buoys and beacons (marker) and weather stations
- Control of the auxiliary installations of a harbour installation in a harbour enclosure: supply networks and communication networks.
- Radar Data fusion systems (VTS), AIS and documents of the One-Stop Shops (Scales, Dangerous Goods, Manifesto and Passage).
This project produced a uniform and global solution applicable to all the port installations in security and risk management matters. More in detail, it generated a computer tool which facilitates the integration of all components to be oriented to the management and it will be a reference security tool. It also went deeper in existing technologies which could be incorporated in the project's final system