Analyses of the situation in the area of science and economy covered by the Programme found out:
- There is an opportunity to increase the efficiency of research results in practice especially with regarding to the fact that the projects carried out by individual research units have a narrow range, and co-realization projects in partnership with other entities for complementary competencies could produce added value.
Applied Research Program of the National Research and Development Centre is a horizontal program with the aim to support the science sector and the business sector in the field of applied research in various fields of science and industries.
Applied Research Program covers two approaches:
- Research undertaken in order to gain knowledge in a particular field of science, having practical applications (for example - the test of materials with particular properties for the possibility of their use in specific products or technologies) or
- Research to achieve the above goals through practical application of new solutions in specific industries (e. g. modification of the material used in specific products to improve its performance.
Programme areas include:
- 1. Chemical sciences
- 2. Geology, Mining and construction
- 3. Information technologies, electronics, automation and robotics
- 4. Power and Electrical Engineering
- 5. Materials and materials technologies
- 6. Mechanics and transport
- 7. Medical and Pharmaceutical Science
- 8. Life Sciences, Agricultural, forestry and veterinary
- 9. Interdisciplinary
The Programme for funding projects includes:
- research aimed at the acquisition of new knowledge to concrete practical applications (with the possibility to include basic research up to 15% of the total project budget, implemented by a scientific unit);
- industrial research;
- technical feasibility studies for the purpose of development